+
News re-Blog

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Surprise in the Middle East - Linux in Jordanian Government

A report from last week's open-source software seminar in Amman by Tom Adelstein.


I stood on a street in Jerash and suddenly realized that no one ever told me what to expect. I had seen ruins before, and I had viewed photos (see Figure 1) of this Roman city. Still, I cannot think of anything that could have prepared me for the experience. Jerash isn't some pile of rocks left over after people pillaged it as a quarry, as are most remnants of the Roman era. As I looked in all directions, I saw the equivalent of a major city too large to cover by foot and ready for habitation.


(One small street in Jerash)



With one exception, you probably can jot down a few thoughts about Linux and free software, and you'll know what we discussed. The sponsor, INT@J, devoted this seminar to applying OSS (Open Source Software) to government, business, finance and academia. So, the presenters spoke about real-life scenarios and projects throughout the region. As one might imagine, sincere interest in and many deployments of Linux exist.


(One of the panel discussions)


Although the presenters abstained from Microsoft bashing, we all were aware of the Redmond company's large footprint in the region. Someone said that Microsoft has 29 offices in the Middle East. I visited one of its Gold Partner's offices and saw about 40 busy developers working on a variety of projects for the government. The gentleman showing me around the Gold Partner offer introduced me to one of the project managers and mentioned that I was speaking at the open-source software event. Immediately, the chap stood up and began to tell me what was wrong with Linux. When I asked him if he'd ever used it, he said he had not. Read More ....






Posted by News Blog re-Blog Team |


« Home | Kuwait is great, but nothing beats Manitoba in Can... » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © News Blog re-Blog 2005 - Published under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License | Disclaimer | About | Privacy Policy